Chef Dennis Chan with Blue Bamboo
Founded in 2005, Blue Bamboo marries hip Asian fare with classic Southern favorites.
Jacksonville native Chef Dennis Chan found his love of food in his grandfather’s kitchen as a child and cultivated it at University of Florida, The Culinary Institute of America and Ming Tsai’s restaurant, Blue Ginger. Dishes such as the Red Curry Shrimp and Grits, Panko-cheese Tomatoes and Food Truck Short Rib Tacos meld the culinary influences in Chan’s life.
Hear from Chef Dennis Chan at Blue Bamboo:
- How many years have you lived in Jacksonville? I have lived here most of my life! I spent a little time in school and working in New England, and working for the Walt Disney World Company, but Jacksonville has always had my heart. Are you a Jax native? I was born and raised here in Jacksonville.
- How long have you been a chef or in the food industry? My family has always had restaurants here in Jacksonville. 12 in my lifetime. I grew up in the business, and always knew it was my legacy to continue in this business.
- What side of town is your restaurant? Just opened our new location in Mandarin.
- How would you describe your cuisine? We're a Cantonese Bistro, meaning we can cook and eat any kind of food that we want, while still maintaining our Cantonese roots.
- Describe your featured dish-Our signature Blue Bamboo Sunshine State Mandarin Orange Cake is the winner of Pillsbury's Neighborhood to Nation Recipe Contest 2018. It has layers of mandarin orange sponge cake, and Puff Pastry sheets and a Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting. The combination was chosen as the winner of Pillsbury's contest because when you take one bite, you'll feel like you're on vacation, or at least here in Jacksonville, "where life is easier."
- What do you love most about what you do? I love that my family has fed generations of our Jacksonville neighbors, and that I still get to carry that torch today.
- What do you love most about Jacksonville? We're the right size-kind of city. No matter where I go in town, I will still run into families that I have known for decades. We're big enough that we can get any kind of food that we might want, and any kind of shopping that we might want. We have nice neighborhoods, and great neighbors.
During your next visit, stop in Blue Bamboo to enjoy a delicious & authentic meal or sign up for one of the cooking classes where you can learn to cook your own Hip Asian Comfort Food!
Tour the Dining Room:
Tour the Bar: