Health & Biomedical
Few cities have the health care presence that Jacksonville has, making the city attractive to medical professionals looking for the perfect location for a meeting. Alongside our peaceful waterways sits a leading health care system encompassing 20+ high-profile health care facilities, research and innovation, and a rapidly growing biomedical community.
Medical experts have made Jacksonville home base because of the abundant career opportunities, natural beauty it offers and the excellent quality of life. Jacksonville hospitals and medical facilities benefit by recruiting outstanding talent at all levels. Visitors from a variety of medical fields visit each year to discover how Jacksonville continues to outperform national standards of care.
Jacksonville's world-class health care landscape consists of one of only three Mayo Clinics, one of six Baptist MD Anderson Cancer Centers, the UF Proton Therapy Institute and cutting-edge medical companies including Medtronic, McKesson, Availity, Forcura and others.
Technology and exploration are at the forefront with medical device manufacturing, clinical trials, translational research and biomedical sciences as just a few of the specialties in the area.
The industry boasts a skilled workforce of more than 99,000, with growth continuing to outpace the national average.
Local companies note the benefits of having top-notch programming for their field with leading educational institutions at University of North Florida (UNF), Jacksonville University (JU), University of Florida (UF) College of Medicine – Jacksonville and Florida State College of Jacksonville (FSCJ).
The area’s proximity to the University of Florida and Florida State University further allows to tap into a growing talent base of skilled health care graduates.
Accolades & Special Facilities
- Mayo Clinic - Number One hospital in Florida, U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023
- UF Health Proton Therapy Institute was the first proton therapy center in the southeast and currently considered one of the Top 10 centers in the world.
- Baptist Health, which serves North Florida and South Georgia, and MD Anderson, the largest freestanding cancer center in the world, joined forces in 2015 to create a new joint cancer program in North Florida.
- UF Health-ANCC Magnet® Recognition - In 2021, UF Health Jacksonville was renewed as a Magnet® organization by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), having originally received the designation in 2011 and 2016.
- Baptist Health- 2022 LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leader
Areas of Excellence
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Clinical Trials
- Critical Care
- Ear, Nose & Throat
- Gastroenterology & GI Surgery
- Health Care IT
- Medical Device Manufacturing
- Neurology & Neurosurgery
- Pediatric Neurology
- Translational Research