During the Marathon Weekend, Jacksonville will be your home away from home, and who wouldn’t want to do a little exploring...you're on vacation after all, right? We truly have something for everyone in the River City, when you’re not participating in the 5K, 10K, or marathon here's a our idea of a good time #onlyinjax! Stop by one of our 3 visitor centers to pick up some brochures & maps.
Here are the top ten things to do after you cross the finish line in Jacksonville this Marathon weekend:
- Hop on the Ale Trail – The perfect celebratory brew happens on the Jax Ale Trail. Craft breweries around the city unite, many of them centered in downtown, the beaches and the surrounding neighborhoods. Breweries on the Jax Ale Trail include Aardwolf Brewery, Bold City, Engine 15 Brewing Company, Green Room, Intuition Ale Works, Pinglehead Brewing and Ruby Beach Brewing.
- Turn it Up - The Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena hosts concerts, sporting events and other theatrics. Visitors can also catch popular musical acts, comedians and other performance artists at the historic Florida Theatre or the FSCJ Artist Series located in the heart of downtown. For indie and local bands, head to Jack Rabbits, located in Jacksonville’s historic downtown and San Marco districts.
- Revel in the Nightlife – The Elbow is a collection of bars, venues, restaurants and shops radiating from the corner of Ocean and Bay Street in the heart of downtown Jacksonville. Sip craft cocktails at Dos Gatos, grab a cold beer and hang out on the open-air patio at Burrito Gallery or dance all night at Myth.
- Wine and Dine in Historic Neighborhoods – Visit 5 Points to watch cult classics at Sun-Ray Cinemas or enjoy the view from the rooftop lounge at Black Sheep, serving hand-crafted cocktails, made from local ingredients. Venture out the Shoppes of Avondale where you can hear live music at The Brick while enjoying modern American cuisine at this neighborhood hotspot.
- Tee Off – Bring your clubs and hit the greens at one of 72 public and private courses. Rates are affordable and great deals are offered in the month of love. Area courses were designed by greats like Tom Fazio, Pete Dye, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player and Mark McCumber.
- Learn and Play with the Kids Downtown – Bringing the kids to help cheer you on? Visit one of the urban core’s attractions where kids can learn and play. Visit the Museum of Science and History (accessible by water taxi or the Skyway from downtown) to see live animal exhibits, a comprehensive history of Jacksonville exhibit, national rotating displays and the world’s largest single-lens digital planetarium.
- Smell the Ocean Breeze – Sink your toes in more than 22 miles of white-sandy beaches. Work on your tan or get active, take surfing or kiteboarding lessons, rent kayaks and paddleboards, fish at the pier or rent a fishing charter boat at Jacksonville Beach.
- Window Shop – Stroll through the St. Johns Town Center, listed as a Top 30 Mall in the country. Visitors browse or buy from an incredible selection of local and national brand retailers.
- Discover the undiscovered – Black Rock Beach, a gem that can be found inside the Timucuan Preserve on Jacksonville's Northside. Black Rock Beach, at Big Talbot Island, is not only beautiful, but also a geological wonder. Discover this treasure Found #OnlyInJax!
- Live Like a Local – Find entertainment, activities, food trucks, and more of what makes Jacksonville so great at local neighborhoods like Atlantic Beach Town Center, San Marco, Riverside, Murray Hill and Avondale, all just a short bridge crossing and ride from Downtown Jacksonville or the Beaches. Swipe through out social media for a look at everything that's #onlyinjax.