Brown L. Whatley Memorial Park
Acres: 1.7 Tree-shaded areas, numerous benches and open spaces combine to provide a pastoral environment at this neighborhood park. History: Alexandria Park was born in 1937 as part of Brown Whatley`s and Joseph Davinâ€™s Alexandria Place subdivision in the Cityâ€™s San Marco area. The park took its name from nearby Villa Alexandria, the palatial estate of Alexander and Martha Reed Mitchell that was built in the late 1870â€™s. After the death of Brown Whatley and his wife Marion in a 1982 automobile accident, the City renamed the park in his honor. Telfair Stockton, Brown Whatley, and Joseph Davin, were the premier developers of the San Marco area in the 1920â€™s and 1930â€™s. In 1937, Whatley & Davin built the Little Theatre in San Marco, which is now the nationâ€™s oldest community theatre group. Tree-shaded areas, numerous benches, and open spaces combine to provide a pastoral environment at this neighborhood park.
Brown L. Whatley Memorial Park1507 Alexandria Place South
Jacksonville, Florida 32207