Native Parks 1 and 2
History Native Parks 1 & 2 were set aside as parks on the 1921 plan of the Avondale neighborhood in west Jacksonville. The Avondale Garden Circle began planting the park with native species in 1923 to increase public awareness of plants indigenous to north Florida. Native Park was formally dedicated in 1932 and demonstrated that while exotic species often died during adversity, the park's native plants prospered with little care through drought, freeze, and hurricane. In recent years the neighborhood residents have taken an active interest in the parks, and obtained a grant and provided matching funds for landscaping.