Riverside Park is located adjacent to Park Street in the Riverside area of west Jacksonville. The city began developing its second-oldest park in the early 1890’s after receiving the plot of land by donation. Workers created walk paths, a carriage lane, and two spring-fed lakes that were stocked with ducks. Ornamental stone bridges and camphor trees further beautified the landscape, which became one of the South’s loveliest parks by 1907. Following several years of improvements initiated by Riverside Avondale Preservation (RAP), disaster struck the park in 1997, when a savage storm devastated the grounds. Fifty-two trees were lost, but the city and RAP worked diligently to restore this Riverside landmark. Amenities includes a basketball court, playground, bike racks, spring-fed lake, and a dog park.