The marker sits on the Jacksonville Naval Complex, where visitors need special permission to enter the base.
Through the era of Spanish control, English speaking settlers landed along the St. Johns River. When the Spanish crown gifted land, Timothy Hollingsworth developed Mulberry Grove Plantation. The plantation grew cotton, oranges, fruits and vegetables and raised cattle. The landed was eventually acquired by the U.S. government in order to develop the Jacksonville Naval Air Station in 1939.