Marjenhoff Park is located just east of the City's San Marco area. The site remained little more than a swamp until Alex D. Marjenhoff, a resident who lived nearby and served on the South Jacksonville City Council from 1928 to 1932, initiated efforts to develop it into a park in 1929. The City filled in the marsh, created a small lake with an island, and with the help of the neighborhood residents, planted trees and other plants to beautify the grounds. At the residents' request, the City named the park in honor of Mr. Marjenhoff in October 1931. Today, the park is a favorite spot for small group picnics and quiet relaxation.