Springfield Park is located near downtown, in the Springfield area of north Jacksonville. First named Dignan Park, for a chairman of the Board of Public Works, it opened in 1907 and contained the City’s first supervised playground. The United Confederate Veterans chose Jacksonville as the site for their annual reunion in 1914, and the site for a monument honoring the Women of the Southland. Five months after the reunion of an estimated 8,000 former Confederate soldiers, the City renamed the park, Confederate Park, and the monument was erected the next year. During the early decades, citizens came from all over Jacksonville to attend cultural events at the park or to see the beautiful Rose Arbor, originally placed in 1920 and restored in 2007. Visitors strolled along the lovely Hogans Creek Promenade that opened in 1930, and in more recent years attend events sponsored by the Springfield Improvement Association and Archives (SIAA).
Located in the park and opening in 1907, the City’s first supervised playground. The playground was permanently established as a separate facility from Springfield Park in the 1950’s, and today provides open space and recreational facilities for residents of the Springfield and downtown communities.
Address: 956 Hubbard Street, Jacksonville, FL 32206