In 1884 William E. Scull, surveyor for the railroad, and his wife Eleanor, moved to the area now known as Jacksonville Beach. There were already several tent houses in the vicinity. The Sculls lived in one tent and ran the first general store from another. Later the Sculls applied for a post office under the name of Ruby, a name chosen in honor of their oldest daughter, and ran the post office from their store. Mail was delivered by boat once a week from Jacksonville. In 1925, the name was changed to Jacksonville Beach.