- Things to Do
- Food & Drink
- Where to Stay
- Travel Tools
Like most major Southern cities, the Civil War left its mark on Jacksonville. The most notable historical location being the sinking of the Maple Leaf on the St. Johns River, but more than just in Mandarin, the historical markers connected to the Civil War can be found throughout the destination.
Civil War Memorials in drive-able order:
Address: 9230 New Berlin Rd., Jacksonville, FL 32226.
Yellow Bluff Fort Historic State Park-New Berlin Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32226.
Address: Cummer Dr., Jacksonville, FL 32206.
Monument to Union soldiers and sailors in Evergreen Cemetery, erected 1891.
It was erected by the O.M. Michael chapter of the Grand Army of the Republic. The striking monument is a full figure of a Union soldier cast in white metal sitting atop a masonry base.
Address: 911 N Washington St., Jacksonville, FL 32206.
Graves of residents of the Old Confederates Soldiers and Sailors Home, starting 1902. The grandstand was built for Confederate Memorial Day services in 1926.
In the early 1900’s the United Daughters of Confederacy requested that a portion of the old city cemetery be used for Confederate soldiers. The city granted them six plots in section six of the cemetery and multiple veteran chapters held Memorial Day services at the grave site starting in 1903. Late in 1925 due to the amount of people and the respect being shown for the site it was decided that a grandstand was needed to further honor those who had fallen. The grandstand was built in such a way that the speaker would be overlooking the soldiers buried in plot six.
Address: 956 Hubbard St, Jacksonville, FL 32206.
Formerly Dignan Park, it was renamed after a national Confederate veteran's reunion held there in 1914.
Confederate Park is located near downtown, in the Springfield area of north Jacksonville. First named Dignan Park, for a chairman of the Board of Public Works, it opened in 1907 and contained the City’s first supervised playground. The United Confederate Veterans chose Jacksonville as the site for their annual reunion in 1914, and the park as the site for a monument honoring the Women of the Southland. Five months after the reunion of an estimated 8,000 former Confederate soldiers, the City renamed the park, and the monument was erected the next year. During the early decades, citizens came from all over Jacksonville to attend cultural events at the park or to see the beautiful Rose Arbor. Visitors strolled along the lovely Hogans Creek Promenade that opened in 1930, and in more recent years attend events sponsored by the Springfield Improvement Association & Woman’s Club.
Address: 956 Hubbard St, Jacksonville, FL 32206.
Monument located in Confederate Park, erected 1915.
The monument was designed by Allen George Newman in 1914 and was sponsored by the Florida division of the United Confederate Veterans and dedicated “in memory of the women of our southland.”
Address: 135 W Monroe St, Jacksonville, FL 32202.
The area was established in 1857 by the founder of Jacksonville, Isiah Hart. Before it became Hemming Park it was known as City Park, and later St. James Park after the Grand St. James Hotel that was built across the street. It was renamed Hemming Park in 1899 in dedication to Civil War veteran Charles C. Hemming.
Address: 300 Water St, Jacksonville, FL 32202.
A historical marker commemorating the sinking of the U.S.S. Maple Leaf by Confederate torpedo mines on March 30, 1864. Placed 2005.
Approximately 15 miles up river from this point, the Union transport Maple Leaf was destroyed by a Confederate mine during the early morning hours of April 1, 1864. The Maple Leaf sank to the bottom of the St. Johns River after hitting one of twelve Confederate mines along Mandarin Point. At the time of the explosion, the steamboat was transporting 68 passengers and crewmembers from Palatka to Jacksonville. Passengers included 42 Union sympathizers seeking protection of federal troops in Jacksonville. Four crewmembers died in the explosion. After sinking, only the top of the wheelhouse and smokestack were visible. These parts were later removed to keep the channel clear for navigation. The hull with its valuable cargo had settled deep within the muddy river bottom. On the Maple Leaf were 400 pounds of cargo, primarily the equipment of three Union regiments and two brigade headquarters. In 1981the Maple Leaf was located by St. Johns Archaeological Expeditions, Inc. Hundreds of artifacts have been recovered from the site, which is now a National Landmark.
Address: 1025 Museum Cir, Jacksonville, FL 32207.
Features exhibits on the Maple Leaf shipwreck.
There are over 3,000 artifacts recovered from the site where the U.S.S. Maple Leaf went down that are on display at an exhibit dedicated to the ship.
Address: 818 West Adams St., Jacksonville, FL 32204.
Marker at the site of Fort Hatch, which guarded the western gate in the Union wall built around Jacksonville in 1864. Placed February 2018.
During the Civil War the Union built a wall around Jacksonville with the purpose of defending the important port city from an attack by the Confederate army. The Fort Hatch marker shows the place of a very important strong hold along the wall.
Address: 1000 Water St., Jacksonville, FL 32204.
Marks the extent of the Union entrenchments around Jacksonville during the final occupation. Placed 1931.
Address: 512 Ernona St., Jacksonville, FL 32254.
Confederate graves from the Battle of Cedar Creek in 1864. Markers placed 2001.
On March 1st, 1864, a running battle known as "Skirmishes as Cedar and McGirt's Creeks' Fla." began near Whitehouse. Steel reeling from their defeat at Olustee, five hundred men from the 40th Massachusetts mounted infantry overran the 19 defenders of a small Confederate army outpost known as Camp Captain Mooney. Seven were shot dead. Twelve were captured. The dead were buried where they fell.
Address: 8080 Hammond Blvd, Jacksonville, FL 32220.
Small monument near Camp Finegan, a large Confederate encampment, erected at the Thomas Jefferson Civic Club in 2015.
Address: 6610 Lenox Ave., Jacksonville, FL 32221 *NOTE: There is no parking nearby to walk and view this marker. This marker is on the side of the main road, Lenox Ave.
Marker for deadliest battle in Duval County during the Civil War, where 8 people died on March 1, 1864. Marker placed 2005.
At Cedar Creek the Union forces made a stand against the Confederate army using the creek as a natural barrier that would slow the Confederate army’s advance. A short battle ensued that pushed the Union back and the Confederates advanced towards Jacksonville. Reinforcements from Camp Mooney met Union forces and were ordered to go back to Cedar Creek but ended up retreating to Three Mile Run. At the end of the battle 7 Confederates were killed, 12 wounded, 2 Union killed, 3 wounded and 5 captured. The Confederates ended up staying in the area protecting it from any further advances made by the Union while the Union held on to Jacksonville for the rest of the war.
Address: 4304 Herschel St, Jacksonville, FL 32210.
Museum founded by Sons of Confederate Veterans members in 1975, opened in this location in 1993.
The Museum of Southern History was established to maintain and perpetuate an educational facility for those who are interested in the history of the United States, its early and current problems and difficulties in becoming the Nation it is today. The museum covers from the Native Americans, American Revolution, Civil War and continues forward to current history. We are also dedicated to historical accuracy in presenting the lifestyle and culture of the Antebellum South, a unique civilization, misunderstood by many, belittled and misrepresented by some, but deeply revered by the grateful descendants of the brave men and women whose sacrifices and dedication to a cause that created a chapter in our nation’s history. Special attention is given to the education of young people as groups of school children are given basic education in our nation’s history in the hope that they will better understand and perhaps develop an interest in learning more about their history.
Address: 11964 Mandarin Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32223.
Features exhibits on the Maple Leaf shipwreck and other Historic Jacksonville memorabilia.
The Mandarin Museum & Historical Society was founded in 1989 by a group of citizens concerned with the loss of historical structures in Mandarin and interested in preserving and celebrating the rich heritage and history of the area.
The first major project conducted by the organization was restoring the Historic Mandarin Post Office and Walter Jones General Store, which served as the heart of the community until it closed in 1964. In 1998, the Mandarin Store and Post Office was reopened to the public as a museum exhibiting artifacts that illustrated the role of the general store and post office as a social and commercial hub for the Mandarin community. In 2001, the building was listed on the National Register of Historical Places and earned a designation as a local landmark by the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission.
Address:11964 Mandarin Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32223
Commemorates the sinking of the U.S.S. Maple Leaf by Confederate torpedo mines on March 30, 1864.
On April 1st, 1864 after carrying 87 horses and a Union Calvary south through Confederate territory earlier in the day the U.S.S. Maple Leaf hit one of eleven mines that had been planted by the Confederates in the St. Johns river the night before. It was moored to the bottom of the river just below the surface of the dark waters. The ship quickly sank but fifty-eight passengers were able to climb into three lifeboats and row safely to Jacksonville’s shores.
Maple Leaf Shipwreck-Union Civil War shipwreck in the St. Johns River dating to 1864. Rediscovered in 1984.The site where the Maple Leaf went down can be viewed from the U.S.S. Maple Leaf Marker.