The Camp Milton Historic Preserve is located in west Jacksonville. It is a stop for the Jacksonville-Baldwin Rail Trail, extends from northwest Jacksonville to Baldwin, Florida. While it is technically a city park, it includes three separate paths: a multi-use asphalt trail for hiking, jogging, in-line skating or cycling; an off-road bike trail; and a horseback riding trail. There is parking for cars at the location of the Rail Trail.
This landmark was significant during the American Civil War that lasted from April 1861 to May 1865. In February/March 1864, as over 8,000 troops arrived at the site to provide the first line of defense against the Union forces in Jacksonville. The camp was named in honor of John Milton (1807-1865), Florida’s governor during most of the Civil War.
After a portion of the remaining earthworks was discovered in 1973. The State of Florida purchased the initial tract in 1981 and later leased it to the City, which acquired additional acreage through the work of Preservation Project Jacksonville and its non-profit partners.