The Martha Washington Hotel was built as a three story Colonial Revival home in 1911 in the "Riverside Annex" as this area of Jacksonville was known. This home became a hotel in 1938 and was named Martha Washington to promote it's female only concept and to capitalize on the fame of the George Washington hotel. The female only concept was brief but this hotel continued to operate until 1977. A group of investors organized by Riverside Avondale Preservation saved the hotel from demolition. The investors sold to a developers who made the hotel into condominiums. There was an addition added in 1938 and an enclosure to of part of the veranda. This former hotel remains one of the most prominent architectural properties in the area.