The Old City Cemetery was established in 1852 and located immediately northeast of Downtown Jacksonville. The cemetery property was donated by Captain Charles and Frances Willey in 1852 to the Town of Jacksonville. The cemetery was expanded in 1869 by another two acres to the north to accommodate primarily African -American burials. This part of Old City Cemetery, known as the Duval Colored Cemetery or the “Freedmen’s Cemetery”, came to be the burial ground of choice for many of Jacksonville’s prominent African-American families. Dispersed throughout this part of the cemetery are the graves of 50 African American veterans, commonly referred to as Buffalo Soldiers, including several that served in the Union army.