History: Oakland Park is located in the Oakland section of downtown Jacksonville, and has been City property since the 1880's. The residential community of Oakland emerged during the 1870's and was oriented toward working-class families. West of the park lies the Old City Cemetery established in 1852, and along the park's northern boundary, St. Joseph's Cemetery, which is a part of the Old City Cemetery. The park has historical significance as the first playground established by the City of Jacksonville for African-American children. The park opened on July 4, 1918, through the efforts of noted Jacksonville humanitarian, Eartha M.M. White (1876-1974), and for ten years was under the direction of pioneer recreational leader Florida C. Dwight (1886-1977).