The Swisher Estates
The Swisher Estates are located at 2234 & 2252 River Road. Both homes were built in 1929 for John H. & Carl S. Swisher, father & son. They were the owners of Swisher Brothers which produced King Edward cigars and Swishers Sweets. Built on the grounds of the former Villa Alexandria Estate, it is on a high bluff overlooking the St. Johns River. The 10,000-square-foot mansion at 2252 River Road sits on over an acre of formal gardens and manicured lawn leading to the river’s edge. Though the property was extensively renovated and restored in 1990 and again in 2008, all of the original character, beautifully crafted ceilings and tile are original to the mansion. Immediately on entry, one’s eyes are drawn to the ceilings, floors and craftsmanship of woodwork that tastefully sets off the Old Florida architecture. The house at 2234 River Road is 8,764 square feet and on 2.49 acres. Please be respectful when going to see these historic homes as they are private residences.