The history of Cecil Field dates to the early years of World War II when new military bases were built across the United States to fight a two-front war. The base was named for Commander Henry Barton Cecil who died in 1933. Cecil Field was decommissioned in September 1999. More than 2,000 acres on the northern end were reserved for recreational use, with 832 acres designated for active recreational use. Park amenities include playscapes, grills, a community center, a gymnasium, picnic shelters, restrooms, 2 lighted youth baseball fields, 2 adult softball fields, 1 youth softball field, a basketball court, 6 lighted tennis courts, a football field, an 18-hole golf course and 2 pedestrian docks.
The Jacksonville Equestrian Center is located at 13611 Normandy Blvd. There are a host of shows offered offering great experiences witnessing beautiful horses with their jockeys and dogs with their trainers. Most of the shows are free to the public.