19 Essential Things to Do on Your First Trip to Jax
If You Didn’t Do These 19 Things During Your Jax Trip, Then You Need to Come Back ASAP…
Here are a few MUST-DO experiences you just can’t miss!
When we tell you “there is so much to do in Jax” we are not messing around. Jacksonville has beaches, parks, nature trails, amazing food, delicious craft beer, top notch museums, historic neighborhoods… the list goes on and on. And while we want you to do it all during your visit, there are a few MUST-DO experiences you just can’t miss!
Here are our 19 experiences you can’t leave Jacksonville without trying:
- Riding the St. Johns River Taxi and Tours - it’s not just for transportation, it’s the best and most affordable way to book a tour to see Jacksonville from the water – and one of the prettiest ways too!
- Visiting one of our museums. From the history of the beaches, to our city history, African-American history, to ancient art, we have it all.
- Following the Jax Ale Trail and have a beer at one of our hometown craft breweries.
- Eating some Mayport Shrimp from one of our many local fish camps! They catch it off our coast in the historic Mayport Village. Try it from Palms Fish Camp, Safe Harbor Seafood Market and Restaurant or Singleton's Seafood Shack just to name a few.
- Exploring Black Rock Beach or any one of our over 400 national, state and city parks.
- Eating a big breakfast – We love hometown favorites Maple Street Biscuit Company and Metro Diner, but there are so many more AMAZING breakfast spots.
- Enjoying the waves and learning to surf or paddleboard.
- Watching the sunrise along our 22 miles of beaches. Boneyard Beach in Big Talbot Island is a must for the perfect sunrise pic.
- Touring our historic neighborhoods – Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, Springfield and Murray Hill.
- Checking out the awesome public art scene – there are murals and sculptures everywhere you look in Downtown Jax.
- Visiting the iconic Friendship Fountain.
- Getting your sweet on at Sweet Pete’s or Peterbrooke Chocolate.
- Going for a sunset stroll down the River Walk in Downtown and spotting some dolphins and manatees.
- Enjoying a cocktail at one of our rooftop bars overlooking the river or the ocean.
- Visiting Congaree and Penn and taking a tour of the farm. Check their website for tour schedule.
- Jacksonville and its surrounding areas boast world-class golf courses for every level of play in beautiful ocean-side and riverfront settings. It's easy to golf here.
- Catching a Sports Game - Jacksonville Giants, Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, Jacksonville Icemen, Jacksonville Jaguars, Jacksonville Axemen.
- Visiting an Animal Attraction - The Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens and The Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Shopping local at Riverside Arts Market on Saturdays from 10-3 p.m. or at one of the monthly Art Walks you can find throughout Jacksonville.