Local Expert Guest
- Things to Do
- Food & Drink
- Where to Stay
- Travel Tools
Who doesn’t want to head home from vacation or a business trip with fond memories and amazing Instagram worthy photos to make your friends and family jealous?
Discover 23 Picture-Perfect Secret Spots to Snap a Photo in Jax!
Jacksonville is so pretty it’s not hard to find a picture perfect spot for a beautiful snapshot. But, if you’re looking for those places that are harder to find, we’ll let you in on the secret of where to get the best shots at the sites not everyone knows about, check out our list below!
Here are some of our favorite “found #onlyinjax” locations to take the ultimate photos, whether using the highest quality lenses or just your phone, these local sites speak for themselves!
1. A1A drive (Heckscher) from Amelia Island to I-295. It isn’t referred to as the A1A Scenic Highway for nothing! Almost every spot along this drive overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the St. Johns River and the Timucuan Preserve offers unbelievably gorgeous views!
2. Public Art Murals are popping up all over this city! From Downtown to Riverside to Brooklyn you can find some amazing murals that have been painted over the last few years! Check out the alley behind 1904 Music Hall, The new Burrito Gallery in Brooklyn, the wall on Lomax Street and so many more.
3. Jacksonville Beach. Delight in close up views of the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy the scene of the miles of remarkable beaches before you. Iconic Jacksonville spot!
4. The River Taxi. The awe-inspiring view of the Downtown Jacksonville Landing and skyline will meet you as you capture the shot from the River Taxi along the scenic banks of the St. Johns.
5. The front mural garden at the Cummer Museum. The Sculpture Garden features four permanent installations from the Cummer Museum’s Permanent Collection: William Zorach’s Spirit of the Dance; Sir Jacob Epstein’s Seventh Portrait of Kathleen; Archie Held’s Lovers; and Takashi Soga’s Sea of the Ear Rings. In addition to these permanent pieces, the Sculpture Garden hosts one temporary exhibition each year. You don't even have to enter the museum to enjoy these!
6. The Southbank Riverwalk. Renovated in 2015 and featuring the Roux Arts: Mirrored River art installation under the Main Street Bridge, this walk is easily accessible to all and breathtaking from so many different spots!
7. Black Rock Beach – check out the video here if you missed it: Eerie fallen Oaks line up the shore looking like massive skeletons on the water. Boneyard Beach is a favorite with professional photographers in the city and a must see spot for visitors. If you’re lucky there will be some dolphins swimming along the shore to greet you!
8. Memorial Park. Come on a sunny, clear day and enjoy this newly-refurbished tribute to our World War I veterans with the sparkling St. Johns River as your backdrop.
9. The Timucuan Preserve. Pretty much anywhere in the preserve can be a stunning photo. Whether it’s the bird watching, the hiking, the beaches or Kingsley Plantation, beautiful views abound!
10. Riverfront Park in San Marco. Visit this park around dusk and relish in the bright pink and yellow hues of the sunset as you witness Downtown Jacksonville light up before you.
11.Ortega Bridge. Built in 1908 this bridge has a splendid view of the St. Johns River and the Jacksonville skyline. Take a seat on the soft green grass next to the palm trees to catch the perfect shot! Or swing by Stockton Park located south of the bridge for views of the river and the skyline.
12. The Florida Theatre. The majestic Florida Theatre is truly a sight to see! Be sure to stop by at night to catch the flashing lights of the marquee, a testament to the theatre’s grand past.
13. At the Jacksonville Zoo with the Tigers…or the giraffes. Experience the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens like never before! Enter the Land of the Tiger where you can capture a selfie with the Malayan and Sumatran tigers pacing above you or get a great shot of the tigers bathing under the waterfalls from inside the glassed in viewing room. Another great spot is in the Giraffe Overlook where you can feed the giraffes or take up close photos of others feeding them!
14. Treaty Oak in Downtown Jacksonville. This magnificent live oak is one of the single oldest living things in Jacksonville. Capture a killer shot from underneath the shade of this octopus-like beauty with long, outstretched branches.
15. Castaway Island Preserve off San Pablo Road. Hike, bike or kayak the 300-acre estuary to find tons of nature’s hidden beauty along the Intracoastal Waterway.
16. Dreamette. Looking for the perfect ice cream cone pic? This is the place to do it! You’ll get an amazing shot, and then get to eat some amazing ice cream. This charming little ice cream stand in Murray Hill has been serving it up for over 60 years!
17. Mini bridges at FSCJ. Can’t make it to all of our stunning bridges? No problem! Drive or walk over to the Cancer Survivor’s Park on W. State Street and snap a pic at this park featuring scale replicas of Jacksonville’s seven Downtown bridges.
18. The MOSH mouth at James Weldon Johnson Park. Who doesn’t want to walk through a giant mouth right outside of city hall, right? The long standing resident of MOSH’s “The Body Within” just recently made its debut in James Weldon Johnson Park bringing with it a whole new cool photo opp.
19. Mandarin Park. Offering gorgeous views of the water and marina and are a perfect spot to catch a picturesque Jax sunset.
20. Jacksonville Arboretum Lagoon and sculptures. Hidden off of Monument Road in Arlington, you would never expect to find this perfectly photogenic arboretum and gardens! The lagoon offers beautiful views of lily pads and, if you can catch him, the resident alligator along with miles of hiking trails dotted with sculptures.
21. Aardwolf Brewing Company. Located in a former ice plant along the rail road tracks in San Marco, Aardwolf is one of the most beautifully decorated breweries you will ever see!
22. CoRK Arts District in Riverside. This 80,000 square foot warehouse space turned art studios has outside walls that are an open canvas for artists to decorate! Murals and graffiti art cover the walls, it’s quite a sight to see!
23. The Bleachers at the Baseball Grounds during a game at sunset. It may seem like a funny spot to mention – we know – but if you have been there to see it you know what we mean!
And for those of you who have never visited Jacksonville before, we want to be sure you know all the best standard shots that are breathtaking on their own, just maybe not so super-secret!
Now we know a lot, but we definitely don’t know everything! What other places would you add to our list? Make sure you tag your photos with #foundonlyinjax and #onlyinjax to show us your best Jacksonville photos!
For more beautiful spots in Jacksonville follow us on Instagram at @Visit_Jax or see if you spot your snap below in our gallery!
Local Expert Guest